I lifted this from Steph.
0. Take five books off your bookshelf.
1. Book #1 -- first sentence
2. Book #2 -- last sentence on page fifty
3. Book #3 -- second sentence on page one hundred
4. Book #4 -- next to the last sentence on page one hundred fifty
5. Book #5 -- final sentence of the book
6. Make the five sentences into a paragraph.
Wind howled through the night, carrying a scent that would change the world. She was in a place full of sunlight. He was a magician of secondary abilities, but a consummate politician, who had succeeded in remaining in power through his ability to play his colleagues off one another. He jumped up suddenly and bolted out the door. As Mo had said: writing stories is a kind of magic, too.
First Book: Eragon by Christopher Paolini
Second Book: The Queen of the Damned by Anne Rice
Third Book: The Golem's Eye by Jonathan Stroud
Fourth Book: The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton
Fifth Book: Inkheart by Cornelia Funke